Update: Now in Seville

On Sunday I bid a sad farewell to Madrid and boarded a six-hour bus ride to Seville. I could have taken the high-speed train, which takes just over two hours, but it costs 5xs as much ($30 vs. $150). Considering the length of this journey, I try to economize every chance I get.

Although I dreaded it, the ride wasn’t too bad. I had two seats to myself, and actually slept through half of it (which is very unlike me!)

En route to Seville, we drove through Castile-La Mancha—home of Don Quijote and his windmills, and hours and hours of rolling hills. Castile-LaMancha is on Spain’s ‘meseta’, a sparsely populated and dry tablelands that actually occupies almost half the territory of Spain. And contrary to what you may have learned from My Fair Lady, “the rains in Spain do [NOT] fall mostly on the plains.”

Bullfighting is serious stuff here in Castile-LaMancha (as it is in Andalusia as well), and the bull is a strong symbol of the area. Lest the traveler forget this important fact, there are frequent reminders along the roadside in the form of giant wooden bull cut-outs. Viva el torro!