Preparations for Semana Santa

Semana Santa starts this Sunday and you can feel the excitement building.

“Semana Santa” is a week of elaborate and dramatic processions and floats to commemorate the Easter event. Semana Santa celebrations are common throughout the Spanish-speaking world, but it’s at its most Catholically extravagant in Seville. It's a very serious affair, full of pomp and glory, and I can´t wait to experience it in person.

Over the last few weeks I have seen all the preparation involved, and can tell you first hand that this is no mere tourism extravaganza. Semana Santa in Sevilla is by the locals for the locals. It is an emotional event, full of neighborhood pride and religious devotion. And it is much more complex than I originally imagined. This week in our culture class at school we are learning about Semana Santa, from it´s origins in the 1700s to how it is practiced today. As the week goes on, I will share some of what I learned on this site, with accompanying pictures.


Rehearsals
A few days ago I was on my way home around 7pm when I ran across a rehearsal in action.

(...Ooops, gotta head back to class. I´ll finish this entry tomorrow.)






Semana Santa hits the stores