Clearing out the Sevilla folder, part 1

I am determined not to get too behind on my journal, so this entry (and another one tomorrow) will be my jumbled attempt to clear out my Sevilla pictures folder before boarding the train out of here on Saturday. Let´s call this jumbled entry ¨Sevilla´s major buildings.¨


Torre de Oro

This 13th century riverbank Islamic watchtower once crowned a corner of Sevilla´s city walls. It´s called the ´tower of gold´ because either (1) according to my guidebook, the dome was once covered in golden tiles, or (2) according to my Spanish teacher, this is where the conquistadors stored their New World booty upon returning to Sevilla. No offense against Moises, but I think the guidebook is more reputable on this one.

By the way, this is an ongoing problem for me. I get lots of conflicting stories on the origins of places, characteristics, etc. Like the prevalence of interior courtyards in Andalucia, for instance, which date to (1) when the Romans ruled the area, or (2) when the Muslims ruled the area. I´ve heard both, several times, and both are probably true. Who knows. In short, it´s probably best to not take what I say on this sight as the absolute truth, okay. :)

Plaza de Espana

This monstrous plaza is a highlight for many tourists visiting Seville. I didn´t particularly care for it. Built for the 1929 International Fair, it´s the epitome of World´s Fair-style building--enormous structures demonstrating zero restraint toward a particular style, in this case typically Andalusian tilework. ¨Over the top¨ is an understatement for this structure. Actually, it was on this spot in 1930 that humankind learned that valuable lesson that more is not always better. Okay, not really, but it sure could be. The photos don´t really convey what I am droning on and on about, so I´ll end the rant here. (I don´t want someone to send me a virus!)

Below is a stitched together panorama of part of the Plaza. Imagine 10% more on the left and 30% more on the right, and that will give you an idea of the size.



Fabrica de Tabacos

"Today´s university was yesterday´s fabrica de tabacos (tobacco factory), which employed 10,000 young female cigareras--including the saucy femme fatale of Bizet´s opera Carmen. In the 18th century it was the second-largest building in Spain, after El Escorial.¨ (Rick Steves)

This building is extremely large and ornate for a factory! I especially enjoyed looking at the reliefs on the exterior of the building, like the smoking Native Americans.

When I was there, the school was bustling with students, and the interior courtyards looked like such a welcoming place to study that it made me sad for my long lost college years.



And lastly, the Cathedral

Sevilla´s cathedral is the third largest church in Europe (after the Vatican´s St Peters and London´s St Paul´s) and the largest Gothic church anywhere in the world. And yet, I still haven´t so much as peaked inside. I´m a little churched-out at the moment, but a month of viewing mosques in Morocco should cure me. Who knows, I still have almost a week in Sevilla. It might still happen.