Fishy Yellow Rice, then Fishy Black Rice

ARROZ NEGRO:
I just got home from a delicious dinner of "Arroz Negro". I was intrigued by the name--Spanish for 'black rice'--and once I heard it's contents, I knew I must have it. The rice is black because after it is cooked, it's saturated in squid ink!

The dish was delicious...garlicy, creamy, a bit salty but still very good. In fact, it was so good that my two dining companions couldn't stop stealing bites off my plate. :) I didn't bring my camera to dinner, so I'm borrowing the photo above from Wikipedia in order to show you what
it looks like.

By the way, I did notice that the Wikipedia listing includes a recipe for Arroz Negro...just in case you have some extra squid ink sitting around.

AND AS FOR THE FISHY YELLOW RICE:
Last night I learned how to cook yummy paella! Well, I learned it in theory. I didn't understand most of what the cook said because she spoke too fast (in Spanish), but that's okay. Based on my past culinary history, it's a pretty safe bet that I'd never attempt to cook it at home anyway.

The Spanish school helped organize the class, since activities like these are good for learning practical Spanish. The class was held in the home of Aricela (pictured at left), and with six students in attendance, it was a pretty tight fit in her little apartment kitchen. But it was a really fun time...mostly spent talking, not cooking.

Let me know if you'd like the recipe. It looks pretty involved, but then again I balk at heating up pasta noodles.

(Please excuse the bad photography. It was tight quarters and bad lighting...same problem that I had at the flamenco show.)