Flamenco, Ole?… Flamenco, Oi Vay!



I took a Flamenco dancing class on Wednesday night. I actually don’t particularly enjoy dancing, but when in Spain, you don’t pass up an opportunity to learn Flamenco!

How did it go? Well, the teacher didn’t exactly gush over my innate Flamenco ability, but then again I wasn’t any worse off than any of the other students. It wasn’t the moves that got me. Thanks to the years of dance lessons as a child, I have an adequate level of coordination. It was my brain, which had absolutely no interest in participating in the endeavor. This was me most of the night:

One, two, three. One, two, three. One…Do I need to do laundry tonight? No, I think I’m…Oh crap, where are we. Oh, okay…Clap, stomp, stomp. One, two, three. One, two, three…It’s too hot in here. Why doesn’t anyone else look hot? Is there a… Oh crap…

I could NOT get myself to concentrate. I wasn’t too hard on myself about it though. Really, my brain, which would not be chastised into cooperating, had a good point, which was “Who are you kidding? You don’t like dancing. I am not going to be a part of this.”

So, final judgement on the experience: I’ve danced Flamenco in Spain, but I don’t have a new hobby.