Cool stuff along the way

En route on the pilgrimage, we stayed at charming little villages, visited various religious sites, and explored castles, Roman walls, etc... Here's some examples:

O CEBREIRO
One trip highlight was staying in the unusual village of O Cebreiro, "a tiny wind battered settlement of stone houses high above a patchwork quilt of green valleys. The village is famous for its 'pallozas'--traditional circular thatched roof houses" (from the trip itinerary). Here are some photos of the village...

Structure after structure, entirely out of stone. Amazing.

It was cold and rainy, but still sorta cozy as we strolled around the village.

Surrounded O Cebreiro is a patchwork quilt of green valleys:



Staying at O Cebreiro has always been a 'reward' for pilgrims for completing the camino's highest elevation gain. On our itinerary, it was definitely the hardest hiking day--5 hours, all uphill, in the pouring rain.

And, uh, I must admit, I didn't quite earn the reward myself. Something about 5 hours, uphill, in the rain didn't sound fun to me. So, I rode with the luggage instead, arriving at O'Cebreiro in just 20 comfy minutes rather that 5 waterlogged hours, and spent the afternoon exploring the little village and reading in my warm, rustic room. I suppose I should be embarrassed by this clear display of laziness, especially since I was by far the youngest person on the trip, but eh...it's a vacation. And really, if I had hiked that day I wouldn't have my special memory of reading a great book over hearty, homemade stew in the atmospheric village restaurant (right).


SAMOS MONASTERY
One late afternoon, after a long day of walking, we visited the Samos Monastery, one of the most important monasteries in Galicia.

After a long wait in the monasteries gift shop (where I bought a CD of what I thought were Gregorian chants), we took a guided tour, and even spotted a few real live monks. :)

The monastery is architecturally stunning and so very peaceful.

It was so fascinating to be in a working, active monastery!


Although, I must say I don't know what this fountain is doing in the center of a monastery courtyard! Topless sea nymphs and celibate monks... that's not a natural pairing in most people's minds.

Like so many sites in Spain, the monastery has its share of religious relics, housed in the brown cabinets pictured on the left. However, since it took me so long to write this journal entry, I have zero recollection of what exactly the relics are. Oops.

Pictured on the right (below) is the guide discussing one of the MANY life size murals that line the courtyards of the monastery. Quite a sight to behold.

After the tour, we stayed around to catch the nightly chanting of prayers by the monks. I was VERY excited that we just serendipitously stumbled upon this experience. I love Gregorian chants.

We waited and waited, and then the monks filed in one by one and eventually began chanting. My first thought: "Man, I just paid 15 Euros on a CD by these guys." Not exactly a holy response to the experience. Um, let's just say the beauty of the experience was not to be had in the voices of the monks. But, once I shifted my focus away from the singing and instead started focusing on the sincerity of their praise and the sacrifice of their lives, it became more of the experience I was hoping for. But the singing...yikes.

I think I will still hope for a "catch a live performance of monks singing" experience. Despite catching the Samos performance, I don't think I've truly had that experience yet.

Below are photos of the interior of the cathedral where the monks sang (taken before they entered):



TEMPLAR CASTLE
En route we also visited a bona fide Templar castle. It makes sense that there'd be Templar sites along the pilgrimage route, since the Templars stated reason for existing was to protect the faithful on pilgrimages.

Since the group consisted of mostly Brits who live in a country brimming with fantastic castles, I was definitely the most excited about this castle. And actually, I was the only one who cared to explore inside, which was interesting but paled in comparison to the entrance area. Disney either borrowed heavily from this castle, or else someone has done a little creative restoration on this site because the entrance, the drawbridge, the moat...this is the most fantastically ideal castle entrance I have ever seen.

I think a lot of what is visible today was added on after the time of the Templars (as the castle changed hands through the centuries) but it was still neat to first my first Templar site nonetheless.