Travels in Thailand

Doi Sutep Monastery in Chiang Mai

Thailand

I went to Thailand one summer in my 20s. I didn't keep a travel journal or take many pictures (or know how to take good pictures for that matters). Here are a few pictures I did take, plus a bit of what I remember. )

I spent the first week in Thailand with my friend Pete, who I had met while traveling in Eastern Europe. We had a great time exploring Wat Phra Kew, Wat Arun (decorated by tiny bits of china donated by devoted residents!), Wat Pho (home of a magnificent and huge reclining Buddha), as well as riding through the city on the Chao Phraya River and eating delicious delicious delicious Thai food! After a whole week in Bangkok, we barely scratched the surface! Such a fascinating city. Here are some shots:


The most memorable excursion out of Bangkok was to the Damnoen Saduak floating market in Ratchaburi, pictured below:



We got there early (7am) to beat the tourists and catch the authentic market in action. (Thank goodness, because when we disembarking, the tourists started pouring in!)

boats of vendors, plus a close-up of some of their goodies

Once there, we immediately hired a boat to observe the market first hand, then float around the canal to see life in the surrounding the villages. Amazing! Fantastic! Loved it!




On the way back, we stopped at a local Buddhist shrine to check out the beautiful grounds and watch the rituals in person, including the fascinating tradition of applying gold leaf to Buddhist statues.




After Bangkok, Pete left for home and I traveled solo... well, with new travel mates, just not with Pete. From Bangkok, we traveled by a comfortable overnight train to Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand.  Here are a few of my new travel friends en route [and we were such good buddies that now, 20 years later, I have no recollection of their names. :) ]




First on the agenda in Chiang Mai-- a traditional Thai massage! Perfect after a long ride.




After the massage, we explored the many temples and the old city of Chiang Mai. Then, around dusk we visited the unbelievably, fantastic mountain temple of Doi Suthep:




We got there just in time to catch the evening meditation and devotion service. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing.




I also remember strolling through Chiang Mai's vibrant night bazaar and eating a fantastic dinner to round out a fantastic visit.