Travels in Vietnam


Vietnam


I went to Vietnam one summer in my 20s. I didn't keep a travel journal or take many pictures (or know how to take good pictures for that matters). Here are a few pictures I did take, plus a bit of what I remember. )

 My favorite part of Vietnam was seeing the countryside in action -- the people working in the rice fields with their little conical hats, often times with their water buffalos...







I especially love seeing people bringing their products to market through some pretty unique ways. Necessity is the mother of invention. :)



One memorable stop was the several days we spent in Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam--known for its centuries-old architecture and a rich culture with Southeast Asian, Chinese and French influences. We stayed in the Old Quarter, which is both chaotic and endearing at the same time. :)



One unique thing about Hanoi is how many buildings are "imperial yellow", which was traditionally associated with royalty in Vietnam.  Even the famous Hanoi Hilton (right) is imperial yellow!



I remember being especially into seeing communist art/billboards/propaganda, and I also LOVED the chaotic streets, especially from inside a rickshaw. Best mode of transport!



From Hanoi we visited Sa Pa, a mountain town in northern Vietnam that overlooks terraced rice fields and serves as a market town for the many hill tribe villages of the surrounding area.  



This was my favorite stop in Vietnam, since it's the cultural experiences that I like the most when traveling. So interesting!  I took a lot of portraits. I especially love the differences in their dress (which indicates what tribe they are from).