The Day of the Cross

Yesterday was Granada's annual Dia de la Cruz. It was FANTASTICO!

What is the Day of the Cross? Every May 3rd, each of Granada's MANY neighborhood churches decorates their square with an elaborate scene centering around a large Christian cross.

This being Spain, with a church on practically every corner, there were A LOT of crosses to check out. Most were elaborate and spectacular, full of fresh flowers and elegant fabrics, but some were decidedly more, um, 'folksy', with an odd assortment of props and crosses made of oranges and twigs. Each scene has a theme, and each year the most beautiful scene wins the big Grand Prize!

This is one of my favorite cross scenes, put up by a church I pass by each day on my way to school. (The picture is actually three shots stitched together because my camera doesn't have a wide angle):

But the crosses weren't the real treat. I was much more enthralled with seeing all the locals decked out in traditional flamenco dresses and bolero jackets (and other stereotypical Spanish attire that I don't know the names of), and even MORE entralled with watching the costumed men and women riding horseback through the streets, with their horses prancing in high, fancy steps!

And as if all that weren't enough...the locals literally dance in the streets. Yup! It was crazy, as if right out of a movie. In squares over the city, locals danced to the sound of flamenco music blaring from loud speakers. Costumed and uncostumed locals alike danced their dramatic flamenco moves while other locals looked on, clapping and shouting Ole!

What a fun, happy event. Spaniards really know how to enjoy life! As usual, I took an absurd quantity of pictures. Here's a sampling:

The church squares were packed:



With all the dancing going on, this would have been a good time to have a video camera. Oh well. Here's three shots taken seconds apart...as my feeble attempt to show the movement of the dancing:

I wonder how it is that so many Spaniards know how to dance Flamenco. Maybe it's part of high school PE. :)

I was taking a lot of pictures of this one group on horseback, and unfortunately caught the attention of one Rico Suave dude (bottom middle) who probably thought I was trying to pick up on him. But no matter. I've got my trusty "Oh, yo no hablo espanol. Yo ingles. Ingles."


I really love how much Spaniards cherish their culture and traditions!