Ode to Lower Main

As I have mentioned before, for the three days that I am “off-shift” (not at Bap), I live at a house in Cape Town in the Observatory neighborhood. I really like this area. It’s close to downtown and has a great mix of restaurants, quirky shops, and lively nightlife spots. Like my guidebook says, “Observatory has an atmosphere all of its own.”

So, since I spend so much time here and like the area so much, I thought I’d share a few pictures. To the right is the main street in Obs, called “Lower Main.” It reminds me of that one street in New Orleans (sorry, the name escapes me) because of the architecture, the bright colors, and the crazy mix of businesses. The buildings on Lower Main are admittedly a little shabby, but that’s okay with me. If they were all spiffed up, the area would surely get gentrified and lose its cool, off-beat vibe.


I now frequent the same three restaurants, having sampled others and decided these are my favorites. All offer good blog-writing spots, and have tasty food.  Mimi's Cafe is above (right) and Thai Thai (left) and Obz Cafe (right) are below.


And, Lower Main is also where I use the internet at African Access, and where I get my laundry washed, dried, and nicely folded for me…for just $4 per big load. That alone makes me never want to leave Cape Town!